The only UK fertility centre that provides expert one-stop fertility diagnosis within an hour
Our unique Fertility MOT service is pioneered by CREATE’s Medical Directors Professor Geeta Nargund and Professor Stuart Campbell. We offer appointments to women, men and couples, which are designed to offer a comprehensive assessment of fertility in the most detailed and convenient manner possible. CREATE is the only UK fertility clinic that offers this expert One-Stop Fertility MOT where fertility tests are carried out in a single visit and results are received within one hour.
Our female MOT takes just one hour and includes a detailed assessment scan and a consultation. Ultrasound scanning is the foundation of our approach, and our Medical Directors Professors Stuart Campbell and Geeta Nargund are experts in the field. We have pioneered the usage of ultrasound to provide a detailed and accurate insight into fertility, negating the need for more invasive testing or repeat visits.
The scan is internal and takes around 20 - 30 minutes. It can be performed at any time in the menstrual cycle. The clinician will assess your ovarian reserve by looking at the follicle (developing egg) count and ovary volume. They will also check how healthy your uterus, ovaries and follicles are by examining the blood flow to each of them. Finally, the clinician will make sure that any problems that may affect your fertility such as ovarian cysts and uterine fibroids and polyps are identified.
The results will be available immediately after the scan, and the clinician will go through these with you in the consultation part of your appointment. The results and their meaning will be explained to you and you will have a chance to ask any questions. The clinician will also discuss your medical history and lifestyle and give you advice on maximising your fertility. If they feel that you would benefit from further investigative tests they will recommend these to you. The MOT does not include an AMH blood test, but this can be performed if you wish (at an extra cost). If you would like to check your tubal patency, we also offer HyCosy at the clinic.
What is the benefit of advanced expert ultrasound scans?
- Egg reserve – is assessed more accurately and qualitatively. This gives information about your biological clock and the ability of your ovaries to ripen eggs.
- Blood flow to ovaries and follicles – can be checked with Colour and Power Doppler. It gives indirect information about the quality of eggs, and if you later seek treatment, potential for response to drugs in IVF and the risk of OHSS
- 3D assessment of uterus – it is a non-invasive method to check your womb. We can identify any polyps, fibroids or any other factors affecting implantation and causing miscarriage. Using this non-invasive method reduces the need for hysteroscopy for diagnosis.
- Blood flow to the uterus and lining of womb – if blood flow to your uterus and lining of womb is good, you are more likely to implant embryos and less likely to miscarry.
[Reference: Simon M. Kelly, Povilas Sladkevicius, Stuart Campbell, and Geeta Nargund Investigation of the infertile couple: a one-stop ultrasound-based approach Hum. Reprod. (2001) 16(12): 2481-2484 doi:10.1093/humrep/16.12.2481]
Our unique service allows couples to visit the centre for a range of tests, which enable us to give comprehensive fertility testing and diagnosis. The MOT includes a detailed ultrasound scan for the female partner, a semen analysis for the male partner and a joint consultation to discuss the results with a clinician, and takes only 90 minutes.
The ultrasound scan takes about 20 minutes and can be performed on any day of the cycle. It is used to look at the ovaries and the number of follicles within them, as well as assessing the quality of the womb lining, making sure there are no obstructions such as cysts or polyps and checking the blood flow to the follicles and uterus. The semen analysis assesses the density, morphology and mobility of sperm; abstinence most be observed for 2-5 days prior to the appointment.
After both partners have had their appointments, they come together with the clinician for a joint consultation. The clinician will discuss the results, give advice for optimising fertility and answer questions.
We offer Fertility MOT by pioneering experts for men within 1 hour. These are carried out at our St Paul’s, Birmingham and Wimbledon clinics, with same day appointments often available.
The MOT includes a detailed, expert semen analysis is performed by scientists, with an immediate report provided. The analysis examines the density, morphology and mobility of sperm. If there are any concerns about fertility arising from this report, advice will be given. Otherwise, if you require a detailed explanation of your results, including lifestyle advice and treatment options please make an additional consultation appointment (at an extra cost).
You will have to abstain for 2-5 days before your semen analysis, before coming into the clinic to provide a sample.
Who is suitable for the Fertility MOT?
- The Fertility MOT is designed for those that just want to check their fertility and at most get some advice on optimising their lifestyle for fertility.
- If you have already had fertility treatment or are seeking fertility treatment, it is more appropriate to book an Initial Consultation and Scan. This is because the purpose of an Initial Consultation and Scan is to develop a treatment protocol for you. This is not included in the Fertility MOT.