What is Natural Modified IVF?
Natural Modified IVF is a form of Natural Cycle IVF. Medication is given for 3-4 days in order to block spontaneous ovulation and a small dose of stimulation hormone is given in order to keep the follicles healthy and growing. As with Natural Cycle IVF, the focus is to collect one high quality naturally selected egg, though sometimes more than one egg can be collected.
Sometimes, Natural Modified IVF allows us to collect more than one egg from a cycle. In women who want to avoid taking injections, we are able to offer a tailored Natural Modified cycle using tablets.
Advantages of Natural Modified IVF
Success: Natural Modified IVF has an improved success rate compared with Natural Cycle IVF and retains many of the benefits. We are especially proud of our success rates with very low egg reserve, those in older age groups, and poor responders to stimulation drugs; Natural Modified IVF can give a higher success rate than conventional IVF in these groups. Peer reviewed scientific studies have also shown that babies birth weight is healthier in Natural Modified when compared to conventional, high stimulation IVF.
Quality over quantity: Egg and embryo quality are considered to be better in Natural Modified IVF compared with conventional IVF.
A healthy womb lining: The lining of the womb is more favourable for implantation in Natural Modified IVF. High stimulation drugs and oestrogen levels in conventional IVF can adversely affect the chance of implantation and the health of the baby.
Fewer side effects: As with all our approaches, Natural Modified IVF offers a less invasive approach and the use of no fertility drugs leads to fewer potential risks and side effects. The risk of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) is avoided with Natural Modified IVF and there are no menopausal side-effects, which are usually associated with conventional, high stimulation IVF.
Less stressful and more patient friendly: The treatment is carried out within your natural menstrual cycle and the associated physical and emotional stress is considerably less demanding than in conventional, high stimulation IVF.
Can perform consecutive cycles: Unlike conventional IVF, patients who choose this option can repeat their treatment in consecutive natural cycles, rather than taking a break of a few months between treatments.
Reduced Cost: Natural Modified IVF is more affordable per cycle than conventional, high stimulation IVF treatments as it does not require an extended daily dose and cumulative dose of costly medications.
Good for women with low ovarian reserve: Natural Modified IVF treatment can be used to treat women who have a low ovarian reserve, poor responders or those who are slightly older. The low doses of drugs mean that egg quality is not compromised and we focus on collecting the egg(s) that has been naturally selected by the body. We are especially proud of our success rates with very low egg reserve, those in older age groups, and poor responders to stimulation drugs. Our Natural Modified IVF can give a higher success rate than conventional IVF in these groups.
Who is Natural Modified IVF suitable for?
All women who ovulate are suitable for Modified Natural IVF treatment. In particular:
- Patients with low egg reserve whose blood tests have indicated that they have low levels of Anti-Müllerian Hormone (AMH) or high levels of Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
- Patients with low antral follicle count in their ovaries
- Couples/women who have had previous failure of implantation with conventional IVF
- Women who have produced fewer than three eggs with conventional stimulation (poor responders)
- Those who want to avoid the risks and side effects of high stimulation. For example, those who have a strong family history of ovarian cancer and other oestrogen dependent tumours.
What is the process of Natural Modified IVF?
The first step is to come in for an initial scan and consultation. At this appointment the doctor will assess your situation and devise a personalised treatment plan. After this, you will come in 2 weeks before the start of your period to meet with a nurse. They will talk you through your treatment, give you your medication and teach you how to take it and go through the consent forms with you. You will then call up on the first day of your period (day 1) to book in your first scan. This will probably be on day 5, but could be earlier or later depending on the advice of the doctor. After the first scan, there will be around 2 or 3 more scans, usually performed every other day. The egg collection is usually performed on around day 12; this is carried out under sedation, and is followed by the embryo transfer a few days later.
Why CREATE Fertility?
- Natural Modified IVF is a delicate and precise treatment and to give it the best chance of success, the clinic must be 100% dedicated to this type of approach. We have been promoting and fine-tuning Natural Modified IVF in clinical practice for over 15 years and have the wealth of experience and expertise to make it work for you.
- Our Medical Director, Professor Geeta Nargund, has advanced the practice of Natural Modified IVF with new breakthroughs and developing treatment protocols. The experience of our Consultants and Embryologists in Natural Modified IVF is unrivaled and we perform the most Natural Modified IVF cycles in the UK.
- Professor Rene Frydman, one of the original inventors of Natural Modified IVF, is part of the Scientific Team at CREATE.
- We have helped many women with low egg reserve have a baby with their own eggs with Natural Modified IVF. Many of these women were told that they could only have a baby with egg donation.
- Our theatre is open seven days a week so that we can work with your cycle.
- We have not had a case of severe OHSS since our founding and are experts at delivering safe care.
For more information, see our FAQs about Natural and Mild IVF.